A good feature:
- Answers a question (possibly one that the reader hadn’t considered before)
- Has an angle (how is it more interesting)
- Type of coverage?
- What tone?
- How many words?
- How many pictures?
- Box outs?
- Cross heads?
- Pull quotes?
- To go with which section?
- Do you need product shots?
- Can you get stock shots to illustrate?
- Commissioned photographer?
Things to consider:
- Not every feature has to be earth shattering breaking news
- Which is best laptop
- Who makes the best coffee
- Whats a holiday in Blackpool like
But it has to fit the publication
- Best holiday in Blackpool doesn’t exactly slip in to a copy of PC Pro
try to avoid questions
Betteridge’s law of headlines
An adage that states, ”any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no”
if your feature idea is a question, thats okay, just as long as the title isn’t.