What Are Secondary Sources?
A secondary source is an article, document or report that is used as source material for another article.
Secondary sources might be:
- Quotes used from newspaper articles
- Information from blogs or online sources
- Material from social media
- Quotes from books, film, TV or other narrative sources
How are secondary source used?
A secondary source can be used in a similar way to a primary source
- As a base for a story, for example:
”Lindsy Lohan has been signed up for a role in Christopher Nolan’s next Batman movie, according to Entertainment Online”
- As a springboard for an opinion piece
- As a source of quotes – like interview material
Rules for use of secondary sources
- Respect copyright and the rule of ‘fair dealing’
- Attribute sources correctly
- online, link back to the original source where possible
- Don’t rewrite quotes to fit or take out of context