The higher the F stop number the smaller the aperture.
F= focal length
Why would we want to controll aperture?
- To controll amount of light
- To control the depth of field
What affects depth of field?
- The aperture
- The focal length of the lens
- The distance between you and the subject
How can we use depth of field?
- Storytelling aperture (wide) to show all elements in the scene
- Single theme aperture (shallow) to draw attention to a specific part of the scene
- Critical aperture (where the image is at its sharpest) usually at f/8 or f/11